- Interview students and parents on goals for college.
- Review school records and advise on course selection for junior and senior year.
- Discuss areas of strength, special talents as well as areas that need strengthening.
- Help with resume development.
- Advise athletes on NCAA procedures and develop an athletic resume in junior year.
- Strategize on timing of standardized tests, refer to private and group test prep tutors.
- Create list of colleges to research, visit, and consider.
- Instruct in proper and effective interviewing techniques.
- Strategize on type of application to submit (early, regular or rolling).
- Finalize list of colleges.
- Help with preparation of college applications, supplements, and supporting material.
- Help craft effective college essays.
- Help navigate the financial aid process, if required.
- Insure that student and parents communicate throughout the process and that student develops a strong working relationship with his or her high school counselor who will ultimately write the school recommendation for him or her.
- Work with student until he or she has determined which school to ultimately attend, including helping strategize with wait lists and essays required for scholarship applications.
- Develop a four year high school academic and extracurricular plan.
- Advise on summer enrichment activities that help advance a student.
- Assist in finding remedial work/tutors to enhance weak areas.
- Recommend resume building activities based on student’s strengths and interests.
- Advise on and help plan for a gap year.
School Advisory Services
- Work with school administrations to develop effective college counseling effort.
- Train teachers and counselors how to write effective letters of recommendation.
- Work with educators to help them successfully guide students and parent through the financial aid process.